Manistee County's growing economy has diversified over recent years with expansions in the retail trade sector and the gaming sector. Employment anchors are manufacturing, government and the Little River Casino Resort.
Recent economic growth has been spurred by a significant increase in investments by the manufacturing sector and an influx of vacation residences and retirement development in the area. New residents are drawn by the county's attractive housing prices and scenic location near Manistee National Forest and the Lake Michigan shoreline.
Manistee County's top ten taxpayers represent a mix of utilities and manufacturing, particularly paper and chemical production, and represent around 16% of assessed valuation.
Principal manufacturing employers: (in no specific order):
- Packaging Corporation of America
- Martin Marietta
- Morton Salt
- Fab-Lite, Inc.
- T.E.S. Filer City Station Power Plant
- M R Products
- Northpoint Precision Inc.
Principal non-manufacturing employers: (in no specific order):
- Little River Casino Resort
- Oaks Correctional Facility
- West Shore Medical Center
- Manistee County Public Schools
- County, City & Tribe Employees
- Manistee County Medical Care
- Manistee-Benzie Community Mental Health
- Glen’s Market